According to data from the centris.ca website, there are more than 15,000 active brokers in Quebec.
With so many options, how do you pick the best person to accompany you? By reading this article, you will discover how to build a relationship of trust with this ally to have a successful real estate transaction.
1. Define Your Needs Beforehand
In order to help your real estate broker do their job effectively and meet your expectations, you should preferably have started thinking about your needs before you meet with them.
Here are some of the questions you will be asked:
- What type of property are you looking for? (Single-family home, townhouse, condo, income property, etc.)
- Are you looking to build a new home or buy a used property?
- What features are you looking for in the property? (Number of bedrooms, number of bathrooms, home office, finished basement, etc.)
- What exterior features would you like to see? (Private parking, garage, landscaped backyard, pool, deck, etc.)
- In which city or neighbourhood would you like to live?
- What services should be nearby? (Schools, daycares, grocery stores, pharmacies, hospital, public transportation, etc.)
To find the ideal property, you must be able to communicate your values, your priorities, your lifestyle and your constraints to the broker you will be working with.
2. Choosing a Listing Broker or a Collaborating Broker?
There are two categories of licensed real estate brokers: listing and collaborating.
The listing broker will help you put your property on the market by taking responsibility for the various formalities involved, such as taking photos and listing it on an online platform like centris.ca. In addition, they can help you set a realistic price based on comparable properties on the market.
The collaborating broker generally helps buyers find a property that meets their needs by coordinating visits and drafting the offer to purchase.
3. How Do You Choose Your Real Estate Broker?
You are ready to sell or buy a property. But how do you find a real estate broker who will meet your needs and expectations?
The following elements will help you find the best professional to accompany you:
- Do they have a valid OACIQ permit?
- Do they work alone or with other brokers?
- Are they subject to negative comments or disciplinary measures?
- Are they active in the city or region of interest?
- Are they familiar with the type of property you want to buy or sell?
- Is their compensation based on a percentage of the sale, a flat fee, or an hourly rate?
To effectively answer most of these questions, you can check the file of a real estate broker before contacting them. Also, don’t hesitate to ask for recommendations from friends or family members.
4. Building a Good Relationship with Your Broker
Whether you want to buy or sell, one of the broker’s roles is to help you understand the different steps of the buying or selling process to have a successful real estate transaction. Thanks to a vast network, the broker will be able to direct you, if necessary, towards the best resources to meet all your needs.
Don’t hesitate to ask them various questions about their experience, their expertise and the statistics related to the transactions they have concluded. Finally, you should know that it is always possible to negotiate their compensation, but that a minimum threshold is usually set by the banner for which they work.
In short, a real estate broker is a choice partner who will contribute to the success of your project. To find the person with whom you can team up in this adventure, visit the centris.ca website.